Orange Pumpkin Muffins
Scottish Oatmeal (fine ground oatmeal) is a good choice for muffins which are complemented with moist ingredients. The temptation to lick the batter spoon is a good hint that this is a tasty (and chunky) muffin recipe. Serve with slices of fresh orange to enrich the presentation.
- 1 2/3 cups Bob's Scottish Oatmeal
- 3/4 cup unbleached flour
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1/3 cup OJ concentrate, thawed
- 1/2 cup soy milk or skim milk
- 1 lg egg, beaten
- 1 lg egg white, beaten
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups diced light red apples
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 2/3 cup dark raisins, soaked
- 1 tsp orange peel granules, optional
- Cooking oil spray
- Soak raisins in very hot water. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
Spray muffin pans with cooking oil spray (or coat with vegetable oil).
- In a large bowl, combine oatmeal, flour, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, baking powder and baking soda. Mix well, then make a well in center of mixture.
- In a medium bowl, combine pumpkin, brown sugar, orange juice concentrate and milk. Stir well, then whisk in beaten eggs, vegetable oil and salt.
- Add pumpkin mixture to dry ingredients, stir to combine, then fold in diced apples, chopped walnuts, drained raisins and orange peel granules.
- Fill muffin cups and bake at 375 degrees for 30-35 minutes. Allow muffin pans to cool 5 min., then remove muffins and serve warm.
- Makes 12 medium muffins.
Click here to post comments.
Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How?
Simply click here to return to Pumpkin Bread Recipes.