Try this Russian Black Bread recipe for a beautiful and flavorful loaf of dark rye bread.
Russian Black Bread Recipe
- 2-1/2 cups warm water (100°F to 110°F)
- 2 envelopes Active Dry Yeast
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup dark molasses
- 1 (1-ounce) square unsweetened
- chocolate, melted
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
- 1 tablespoon Fennel Seed
- 4-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 cups rye flour
- 3/4 cup imported chopped or snipped pitted dates
Makes: 2 round loaves
Place 1/2 cup warm water in large warm bowl. Sprinkle in yeast; stir until dissolved. Add remaining water, butter, and next 6 ingredients. Slowly stir in 3 cups all-purpose flour; blend well. Stir in rye flour and enough remaining all-purpose flour to make soft dough. Remove dough to lightly floured surface. Cover; let rest 15 minutes. Knead dough until smooth and elastic, about 10 to 15 minutes. Place in greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover; let rise in warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 1 to 1-1/2 hours.
Punch dough down. Remove dough to lightly floured surface. Knead in dates. Divide dough in half. Shape each half into 5-inch ball. Place each ball in greased 8-inch round cake pan or on large greased baking sheet. Cover; let rise in warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes or until done. Remove from pans; let cool on wire racks.
Serving size: 1 slice; 1 /24 of recipe
Serving weight: 2.6 ounces (74 g)
Calories 170; Total fat 3.5 g; Saturated fat 1 g;
Cholesterol 0 mg; Sodium 250 mg; Carbohydrates 33 g;
Dietary fiber 5 g (1.9 g / oz); Sugars 5 g; Protein 4 g
Used with permission: Photo and recipe courtesy © ACH Foods. All Rights Reserved.
Latest posts by Cathy Warner (see all)
- Weeknight Semolina Bread and Cloche Giveaway - July 3, 2015
- ONFB Interactive Documentary Bread - June 29, 2015
- Muesli Rolls with Oat and Seed Soaker #breadbakingbabes - June 16, 2015