Check out this healthier recipe for cinnamon rolls. This version uses whole wheat flour and honey. Try a batch of these rolls with your Holiday brunch!
Cinnamon Rolls Recipe
- 1 1/4 cups warm water (110° – 115°F)
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 6 tablespoons honey
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons wheat gluten
- 4 to 4 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/2 tablespoon orange peel, grated
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons flour
Preheat oven to 350°F.
In large mixing bowl, combine yeast and warm water until dissolved. Blend in dry milk, butter, honey, egg and salt. Add 2 cups whole wheat flour plus wheat gluten to mixture. Beat with mixer on low speed until smooth.
Gradually add enough of the remaining flour to make sticky dough. Knead 10 to 12 minutes with dough hook or by hand until smooth and elastic. (Avoid adding to much extra flour, the dough should be slightly sticky for a moist roll.)
Place in a warm greased bowl, turning to coat top. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and towel; let rise in a warm (80°F) place until double in size. Punch down dough; cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
FILLING: Beat butter, honey, orange peel, cinnamon and flour until creamy. Roll dough into 18 x 15-inch rectangle. Spread the butter mixture to within ½ -inch of edges. Starting at the 18-inch side, roll dough tightly, jelly-roll fashion. Seal edge by pinching with fingertips. Slice into 1½ -inch pieces to make 15 rolls. Place in greased 13 x 9 –inch pan. Cover and let rise until double in size.
Bake in oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until done; cool 10 minutes. If desired, mix together ½ cup confectioner’s sugar and 2 to 3 teaspoons orange juice; drizzle over rolls and serve.
Servings: Provides 15 rolls/servings Calories/Serving: 260 calories/serving
Nutrition: One roll provides approximately: 260 calories, 7 g protein, 42 g carbohydrates, 5 g fiber, 9 g fat (5 g saturated), 35 mg cholesterol, 42 mcg folate, 2 mg iron and 255 mg sodium.
Source: Used with permission of Wheat Foods Council.
Latest posts by Cathy (see all)
- Yeast Water Royal Crown Tortano with Einkorn and Red Fife #BreadBakingBabes - February 16, 2018
- 100% Whole Grain Sourdough Spelt Oatmeal Bread - February 4, 2018
- Tartine-Style Sourdough Rosemary Polenta Loaf #BreadBakingBabes - January 16, 2018