We’ve had a tremendous response to BYOB so far this year. Several new bakers have joined in the fun for 2011. I’m excited about baking with such a wonderful group of bakers.
The idea behind BYOB is that instead of running to the store to buy a loaf of bread, pastry or sandwich buns, you make them yourself.
- For more details or to participate in BYOB in 2011, click here.
- To view the list of homebakers participating in this adventure, click here.
For the monthly roundup, I did things a little bit different this time. We have some non-bloggers participating in the fun so they’ll be included in the roundup as well. Some of them have submitted photos and some just a list of the breads they’ve made. Either way, I’m excited to showcase everyone’s efforts.
Here are the breads and other baked goods the BYOB Bakers made in January 2011. I hope you enjoy all of these wonderful breads.
Pam of Pam’s Bread, made some healthy and delicious-looking breads. I’ve been wanting to try emmer flour. Thanks for the inspiration.
Kathi of panini happy made these mouth-watering cheese-stuffed loaves. I think they look just fine on their sides. I like the cheese oozing out.
Frieda of Frieda Loves Bread tried her hand at Sourdough and revisited the Sullivan Bakery No Knead bread. Looking good!
Cindy in Cedar Park, Texas baked a wonderful assortment of breads in January. Here is her list of breads along with some photos:
- Amish Friendship Bread – I baked this in a bundt pan. This is great for breakfast.
- Banana Nut Raisin Muffins – we usually make a batch of these every month.
- Focaccia Bread – we love to eat this spread with fresh guacamole, grilled onions and red peppers, and topped with garlic and herb feta cheese. We also made mini-pizzas with it.
- Garlic Naan Breads – spread with garlic hummus, these are great for a light lunch eaten with fresh fruit. We make a batch of these every month.
- Zuchini Muffins – first time making these. Just like Banana Nut bread only with shredded zuchini instead of bananas.
- Sourdough Bread – toasted with butter, it is a wonderful accompaniment for the soups we enjoyed this month: turkey rice, sausage and potato, and tomato basil. This bread also makes great french toast.
- Homemade Pizza Dough – used for a pepperoni pizza. My bread machine finally died so I had to find another pizza dough recipe to make by hand. Didn’t turn out quite right this time. Need to bake the crust more before adding the toppings. Plus I probably should increase the temperature since the dough is much denser.
Whole Wheat Bread – for sandwiches.
Raisin Challah – wonderful for breakfast, lunch or dinner. We’ll enjoy some tonight with our Fajita Chicken Spinach Salad.
Cat of Buttery Bakery graced her table with some delicious treats. Beautiful photos! Those oatmeal cookies look delicious!
Pita Bread and Hummus
Hanna of My Bread Making Experiences made some delicious-looking whole wheat loaves and some white loaves of bread. Mmmm…comfort food at it’s finest.
Di of Di’s Kitchen Notebook made an assortment of beautiful baked goods. That chocolate cake looks awesome. Love that Bundt pan shape!
ABin5 Semolina Bread
Di’s January bread baking log (including the stuff she didn’t blog)
Melanie of Mel’s Home Baking Adventures shares a few of the breads she made this past month. Pumpkin scones, what an interesting treat. May have to try them.
Harvest Pumpkin Scones made from recipe at King Arthur Flour.com
Michelle from The Beauty of Life thinks it is incredibly empowering and liberating to make her own bread and baked goods. I do too! Here are some of her breads:
Roxana (aka Green Girl) of A Little Bit of Everything baked some gorgeous delights. I think I’ll take a little bit of everything!
Ricotta Cheese Brioche
Cottage Cheese Crescents
Champa of Versatile Vegetarian Kitchen made an assortment of vegetarian breads and other baked goodies. Very nice!
Honeybee of Honeybee Cooks Jackfruit made some delicious-looking and comforting breads. Yum! Yum!
Kathy in Derwood, Maryland sent her list of the wonderful breads and baked goods she made in January. She said “no pictures this month, but I did do some baking”. I’ll say she did do some baking. Wow!
Bread, Rolls and Pizza
Beautiful Burger Buns – KAF Website (twice, once for the freezer)
Whole Wheat Bread – Healthy Bread in 5 (for a total of 8 1-lb. loaves)
Basic White Bread – Artisan Bread in 5
Pizzas – Pizza by James McNair (This was the month of Chicago-style pizzas, and I baked a total of 18)
Sweet Cream Biscuits – Baking: From My Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan (twice, once for the freezer)
Pullman Loaf – KAF Website
Chocolate-Buttermilk Bundt Cake – WW New Complete Cookbook
Pumpkin Bundt Cake – WW New Complete Cookbook
Brownies (Master Mix) – Farm Journal Cookies
1-2-3 Layer Cake – Swans Down Cake Flour w/ buttercream frosting
Swathi from Zesty South Indian Kitchen made some very flavorful and unique goodies this month. Those mava cakes look like they would melt in your mouth.
Orange scented cardmom flavored mava cakes: An Indian Milk Cake
Poee/Poli bread and black eyed peas curry: From the land of Goa
Andrea of Family & Food and Other Things was a busy bee in the kitchen again this month. Here are the delights she’s been making for the Modern Baker Challenge, the Mellow Bakers, the Twitter Chef Avatar fun, and just for fun.
Abby of Stir it! Scrape it! Mix it! Bake it! submitted some of her favorite breads from her January baking. Pain de mie, one of my favorites! Delish!
New Orleans Praline Pound Cake
And, I, Cathy of Bread Experience, made a few breads for my baking groups and some just for fun. Here are a few of my favorites:
So there you have it! I hope you’ve enjoyed all of the beautiful handcrafted baked goods from the BYOB Bakers.
Thank you to all the BYOB bakers who submitted their breads and baked goods this month. I thoroughly enjoyed this virtual bread-baking experience. You’ve given me lot’s of ideas and I’m sure others will be just as pleased. Keep those breads and treats coming.
Until next time, BYOB!
Latest posts by Cathy Warner (see all)
- Weeknight Semolina Bread and Cloche Giveaway - July 3, 2015
- ONFB Interactive Documentary Bread - June 29, 2015
- Muesli Rolls with Oat and Seed Soaker #breadbakingbabes - June 16, 2015